L-06: Practical Introduction to MapStorer
Everyone who has ever tediously tinkered around with a mapfile consisting of more than three layers each with a couple of classes will understand the need for MapStorer as a simple and easy-to-use graphical tool for configuring MapServer mapfiles.
Then key features of MapStorer will be presented. They include
- creating a working mapfile in less than a minute and without even opening a text editor
- adding layers to a mapfile from different data sources
- conveniently creating classes for a layer by selecting classitems from an html-select fed from the layers' data source
- convenient extent calculation from a layers' data source (e.g. PostGIS, shp-files)
- integrated preview of mapfiles and layers
- re-using layers from any mapfile in any other mapfile through a click (combine mapfiles)
- exporting your mapfile as plain text
- importing mapfiles into MapStorer (on-going work).
Participants will create and configure their own mapfiles in a MapStorer online-demo using a variety of data sources in a matter of minutes. Created layers can be interchanged between the participants using MapStorer. Advanced MapServer users may bring their own mapfiles and try the brand new import-functionality of MapStorer.
Arnulf Christl is founder of the Mapbender project, CEO of the company WhereGroup GmbH & Co. KG, member of the OSGeo Board of Directors (since 03/2006) and OGC Principal Member representative of the WhereGroup (since 10/2006) and oftentimes takes on the job of the lowest Troll.